• Advertisement

Craftsman Chain Saw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Chain Saw

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:03 pm

Model: 358.350260
Serial: 99257D202257

I typically don't find myself in this position but I have a saw that all the lines were gone. So I'm trying to figure out which does what on the carb. There is a separate primer bulb. I know that one of the nipples on the carb goes to the primer bulb and the other is the fuel pick up that connects to the fuel filter. Is there a rule of thumb on this? One nipple on the carb is closer to the metering side and one is closer to the pumps side. Numbers on the carb are 029 and WT324.

I was lucky enough to have a bunch of spare parts from various kits I had laying around...diaphram, gaskest, needles and such. Ran it through the cleaner and thought I would throw it together with the kit parts and see what comes out. I have the fuel lines to replace but don't have the originals to see where they were all coming from.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Chain Saw

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 pm

Hi Lefty

On these little Poulan saws with the separate primer bulb, the fuel pick-up hose usually goes to pump side and the primer or air purge line comes from the metering side. The air purge bulb pulls fuel from the carburetor and returns it to the tank thus purging all air from the fuel system. I don't have a primer bulb in my hand, but if memory serves me correctly, the shorter nipple is the intake which connects to the carburetor and the longer one is the output which connects to tank.

Put just enough fuel in the tank to cover the fuel filter but not the end of the return line, then operate the primer. The fuel lines are clear, so you should see the fuel flow up to the carburetor, then through the primer bulb and back to tank as you pump the primer. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:37 pm

It does. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am

Worked perfectly. Thank you.

When I got this, there was no fuel in it, which I appreciated because I didn't have to deal with it. Once assembled, I thought I'd fuel her up fire her up but it started pissing out of the gas cap. I thought maybe I had cross-threaded it or there was a bad O-ring but it appears there is a little pinhole vent in the center of the cap. I can shine my light through it. Is this a failing check valve in the cap or something like that?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:02 pm

Yes they usually have a duckbill valve under the cap retaining lanyard but I see many in the shop where these have been pulled off and the duckbill either lost or in the tank.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:35 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Yes they usually have a duckbill valve under the cap retaining lanyard but I see many in the shop where these have been pulled off and the duckbill either lost or in the tank.

The lanyard is gone on this one so that would explain it. Probably damaged the valve on its way out. Thank you. I'll pick up a new one. They look fairly cheap.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Might oughta get at least a couple of them as they are know swell making it very hard to loosen or install the cap.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lefty » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Will do. Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum