• Advertisement

Sears is getting prouder of the parts.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Sears is getting prouder of the parts.

Postby SUKI » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:03 am

Boy just curiosity in general I was checking a belt size this morning. Boy is Sears proud of the 532178138 belt @ $61.66 when my distributor is listing the retail @ $44.99. I understand that is nearly always a little higher but they are now just taking advantage of their customer base.

I had a customer several years ago that demand me to use Sears parts on his Craftsman mower and even tried suing me for not doing so even though I use the Husqvarna oem parts. Needless to say he lost out as he had to pay my lawyer fees. IJ ust was going to Sears retail when I got a Husqvarna distributor online.

Using the above belt why would I pay $61.66 when can get it from the distributor for $29.25; just doesn't make sense. Even this is a little over $5 increase since last year. Even this is high for a poly belt.

Just venting this morning its been a week of Mondays here and Monday was more Monday than normal too. I just realized today is TAX DAY. :lol:
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Sears is getting prouder of the parts.

Postby hanz63 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am

I've gotten heads up from many of the distributors on various price increases, and every so often they throw in a curve ball that you didn't see coming. Another example, I was going to add the simple 942-0741A MTD WPM blades to my order and did a double take. Cost WAY up, list like $24 now. They were a bit too proud of these for me. If I don't use OEM blades, I tend to go with OEP. I've bought some of the Stens and Rotary this year to give them another try.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am

Using a computer to comparison price shop and do reviews of stuff they are selling has and is putting lots of them rip off places out of business.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am

Using a computer to comparison price shop and do reviews of stuff vendors are selling has and is putting lots of them rip off places out of business.

I know couple of old guys that repairs lawn tractors and do not know how to use a computer to compare prices of parts, especially V-belts and carbs. It's surprising to me that they have lots of customers that will pay $200 or more for a OEM NEW replacement carb or $80 for a OEM v-belt and then additional to have it installed and their mower not worth much more than the cost of the parts.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:35 pm

Arkie wrote:I know couple of old guys that repairs lawn tractors and do not know how to use a computer to compare prices of parts, especially V-belts and carbs. It's surprising to me that they have lots of customers that will pay $200 or more for a OEM NEW replacement carb or $80 for a OEM v-belt and then additional to have it installed and their mower not worth much more than the cost of the parts.

I got a brother that resemble that. He was able to patch up equipment and get good price for it without a warranty. When I was fixing mowers for sale with 90 day warranty, all I could get was insult offers. Now that I have quit selling used equipment people are coming by nearly begging for me to sale them a rider and I simply will not even waste my time with them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum